Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Re: EtherPeek equivalents in Ethereal (name table and offset fi

From: "Phillip Jordan" <philajordan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:11:16 -0400
Guy, thanks for the reply - you wrote:

For MAC addresses, they come from "/etc/ethers" on UN*X and the "ethers" file in the directory in which Ethereal was installed on Windows, or from $HOME/.ethereal/ethers on UN*X or the "ethers" file in the Ethereal subdirectory of your "application data" directroy on Windows.

I used the "manuf" file - it was in the Ethereal install directory (C:\Program Files\Ethereal). I couldn't find the "ethers" file you mention. I checked the install directory, and I also checked my Application Data directory - there was no subdirectory for Ethereal (C:\Documents and Settings\myusername\Application Data). I didn't see an "ethers" file in either. I also checked the "etc" directory (C:\Program Files\Ethereal\etc) but didn't see an "ethers" subdirectory (there are gtk-2.0 and pango). But I was able to do what I needed with the "manuf" file. (The manuf file contains this line - "This file is in the same format as ethers(4)"...)