Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] SMTP Failures

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:31:27 -0700
Nozell, Paul wrote:

The connection breaks just after the host submits the MAIL FROM: command,

...and then the host drops *its* side of the connection by sending a FIN, so the SMTP server has no reason to wait for anything else to be sent to it, and drops its side of the connection after sending a reply to the MAIL FROM: and then trying to read from the connection and seeing the end-of-stream. I have no idea why the SMTP client is doing that; you'd have to answer that one.

Try using "Follow TCP Stream" on one of the packets in that session, which has a side-effect of filtering the display to show only the packets in that session.