Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] NIC Manufacturer resolving

From: "Julian Fielding" <jfielding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 12:16:44 +0100

This is what I requested in http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-dev/200310/msg00536.html

Many IP addresses are not resolvable in my environment, and I use Windows, so I turn off network name resolution. So if I expand Ethernet in the middle window I usually see, for example, Source : xx:yy:zz:12:34:56 (manufXYZ:12:34:56). But if Ethereal's seen a relevant ARP then I see Source : xx:yy:zz:12:34:56 (192.168.200.123) which is not useful since the IP addresses are already visible in the IP layer just below.

I guess this behaviour might be useful for hosts that use, say, IPX as well as IP. Or for routers, where the IP associated with the MAC address is different from that in the IP layer, but that's usually obvious when I see (well_known_router_manufacturer) instead of (my_expected_hardware_manufacturer). Question: Is this behaviour ever useful? Or is it just confusing to show apparently wrong or irrelevant IP addresses?

Arve, you can work around the problem by disabling ARP or by using a capture filter to prevent Ethereal seeing ARP packets.

Julian.