Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] configuration

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 17:58:05 -0700
james wrote:

I have attached picture.

Much better.  Thanks.

I have set up my network to monitor the messages of the IP phone
using a PC with Ethereal as in attached diagram.
Since Adsl modem is in bridge mode is it possible to monitor the messages.
If can how?
To my understanding only one equipment can be connected in bridge mode.

If by "bridge mode" you mean the ADSL modem is sending bridged Ethernet over ARP (that's how my ADSL modem is configured), then you could, in theory, have multiple devices connected to the hub sending traffic over the bridged Ethernet - for example, my ISP allows me to have up to 4 static IP addresses, so I could connect up to 4 devices with different IP addresses. I don't know what your ISP allows.

If your ISP allows only one IP address, so that only one device can access the Internet through the ADSL modem, you could disable host name resolution in Ethereal, so that it doesn't have to use the Internet to analyze traffic. As long as the hub is a real hub, not a "switched hub" (which is really just a cheap switch) and, if it's a dual-speed (10Mb/100Mb) hub, as long as Ethereal and the IP phone are running at the same speed, you should be able to capture all the traffic the IP phone is sending and receiving, as long as the PC's network card and the OS's driver for the network card support promiscuous mode.