Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] configuration

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 14:21:02 -0700
james wrote:

I have set up my network to monitor the messages of the IP phone using a PC with Ethereal as in attached diagram.

Unfortunately, I can't read the attached diagram, as I have no software on the machine on which I read my mail that can read PowerPoint presentations, so I can't answer your question.

I *might* be able to read it, and answer your question, if it were sent as a Word document - but many others might not be able to.

If a picture needs to be sent, it should be sent as a GIF, a PNG, or a JPEG, as those are more likely to be readable by a given reader of the list. It should *NOT* be sent as a Word document or a PowerPoint presentation. (However, for network diagrams, "ASCII art", although it takes mroe work to produce, has the advantage that it takes fewer bytes to send, and thus makes people whose Internet access is over dial-up lines or other slow connections happier.)