Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] RTP Analysis

From: "Martin Regner" <martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 18:19:18 +0200
Philippe Deeve wrote:

> > When I am looking at a trace I see the value of SET under the
> > MARKER heading.  What does that mean?
>
> in my experience with RTP the MARKER bit is SET (true) if the payload of the
> RTP packet contains the last data of a frame. The next packet contains the
> start  of a new frame!

For audio streams the marker bit is normally SET for the first packet after a period of silence during
which packets has not been sent contiguously.

For video streams the marker bit is normally SET to indicate the last packet of a video frame.

For more information see the RFC3551 and maybe also documentation for the specific codec that is used.