Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] tethereal does not exit or write to file until packet recevied

Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 09:50:12 +0200
Hi,

I'm running the following:
tethereal 0.9.15
Compiled with GLib 1.2.10, with libpcap 0.6, with libz 1.1.3,
without UCD-SNMP or Net-SNMP, without ADNS
Running on Linux 2.4.20-8

When I use the "-l -V -w <filename> -a duration:<seconds> " options, tethereal definitely doesn't flush to file and only writes to the file and exits when a packet is received after the "duration" time is over. You can send as many packets as you want to the capturing interface and wait forever but if no packet arrives after this duration then the program hangs and the packet file remains empty.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong ? This problem is completely reproducable. Try it on two back-to-back interfaces so the only traffic is what you send via ping, etc ....

Thanks,
Peter.