Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] AIM dissector enhanced?

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 19:05:21 -0700
On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 02:34:00PM -0700, Timothy P. Cornish wrote:
> When viewing captured AIM packets in version 0.10.2 I would see message
> traffic displayed like:
>
>     Message from: NBdrizzums -> wats up?
>     Message to: NBdrizzums -> how ya doin?
>
> With 0.10.4 I see:
>
>     SNAC data, Messaging, Incoming
>     SNAC data, Messaging, Outgoingto: NBdrizzums
>
>  From the same 2 packets as in the first example.

In the case of the outgoing message, there appear to be two bugs:

	1) there's no space before "to:";

	2) it was using the wrong offset to fetch the message;

so the message was displayed as junk.  (It *WAS* displaying something -
there should have been a "->" after "Outgoingto: NBdrizzums", and there
*was* one when I used the 0.10.4 version of the AIM code - but it wasn't
displaying the correct message text.)

In the case of the incoming message, the code currently treats the stuff
after the user information as a set of TLVs, and the message text is
just another TLV and the code to dissect it doesn't update the Info
column.

I've checked in a fix for the former, as that was an obvious bug not
requiring any detailed knowledge of the protocol to fix (there was
another obvious bug in the code as well - it was fetching the screen
name using one packet offset and displaying it using another,
hard-coded, offset).

Perhaps the folks working on the AIM dissector could look at the latter
(and also check out the outgoing message dissector, as there's stuff
after the screen name other than the message in one capture somebody
sent - that stuff should be dissected if somebody knows what it is).