Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Would like to use Network tap and multiple promiscuous 10/1

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 11:06:50 -0700
On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 07:39:09AM +0100, Richard Urwin wrote:
> Probably not in XP. You can do it in Linux, and probably every *nix,

No, the "any" device is specific to Linux - the packet capturing
mechanisms on other *nixes require, as far as I know, that you bind the
capture device/socket/whatever to a particular interface (definitely
true with BPF on the BSDs and DLPI on Solaris and HP-UX), so you can't
use a single capture device/socket/whatever to capture on all
interfaces.