Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Clarification on licensing

From: Chris Zakelj <cazakelj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 12:08:46 -0400
IANAL... but...

As I understand things, if you write a script, you can put it under whatever license (GPL, LGPL, Mozilla, BSD, Microsoft-Gestapo, etc) you like. That (t)etheral is GPL'd means that if you make any changes to the (t)ethereal code and want to release it, you need to send those changes back to the team so they can decide whether or not to include it in the next release.

Chandra R wrote:
Hi all,

I would like to get somethings clarified regarding GPL license.

The usage scenario is like this:
1) A TCL script would spawn a "tethereal" program using TCL's
    'open' or 'exec' command.
2) The script would read the program's output and make some
    decisions by doing string matching.

My question is: Should the calling TCL script be a GPL source? Or can it be designated as proprietary?

-- Chandra.

Chandrasekar R
Software Engineer
HCL Technologies India