Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Problem with W2K Installation - follow up

From: "Martin Regner" <martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 21:32:49 +0200
Bryan Cook wrote:

><original>
>I installed Ethereal 0.9.11 and WinPcap 3.0 beta on one W2K machine and it
>runs fine. When I saw how useful this product will be, I installed both on a
>Thinkpad laptop.  When I launch the application on the laptop, the
>application screen never appears.  However, ethereal is running and using
>95%+ of the processor.  What have I missed?
>
><new>
>It appears that the problem is due to the MIBDIRS and MIBS environment
>variables pointing to items created when I installed Enterasys' software.  I
>saw in the archives where this has happened to someone else.  I am unclear
>as to the best solution.  Please advise.

There is maybe one or more errors in one or several of the MIBs that are located in the MIBDIRS
directory, e.g.  missing IMPORT ... FROM - as in my case.

The output from snmptransate (net-snmp) and/or smilint (libsmi) may hint which MIB(s) is/are incorrect and what the fault is.
http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-users/200304/msg00090.html
http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-users/200304/msg00089.html
http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-users/200304/msg00093.html

I guess that you could try to contact Enterasys and ask them if they have any updated MIBs.

However it's not good that a fault in a MIB causes Ethereal to hang without any warning
or similar.  I don't know if a later version of net-snmp should solve this or if there is a good
way of avoiding the problem in Ethereal. I had one idea to add a prefernce setting whether
Ethereal should use the MIBDIRS directory or it's own directory  <ETHEREAL_DIRECTORY>/snmp/mibs/.

Regards,
 Martin