Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Problem with W2K Installation - follow up

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 12:52:27 -0700
On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 09:32:49PM +0200, Martin Regner wrote:
> However it's not good that a fault in a MIB causes Ethereal to hang
> without any warning or similar.  I don't know if a later version of
> net-snmp should solve this or if there is a good way of avoiding the
> problem in Ethereal.  I had one idea to add a prefernce setting whether
> Ethereal should use the MIBDIRS directory or it's own directory
> <ETHEREAL_DIRECTORY>/snmp/mibs/.

As the Windows version of Ethereal is bundled with its own version of
the SNMP library, perhaps it should *always* use its own directory.

The SNMP dissector includes code that, on Win32, forcibly sets the
MIBDIRS environment variable to point to its MIB directory if MIBDIRS
isn't already set.  Perhaps it should just forcibly set it, overriding
the user's MIBDIRS setting, and be done with it.