Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Re: Ethereal installation: NET-SNMP with HP Openview

From: Wes Hardaker <wjhns36@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 06:58:43 -0700
>>>>> On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 10:48:19 -0400, "Gagne, Philippe" <phigagne@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

Philippe> I'm installing Ethereal on HP Openview Network Node Manager
Philippe> server which is Bell Mobility tool to support our data
Philippe> network. I am afraid installing UCD (Net) SNMP agent over HP
Philippe> Openview installation may corrupt the server. This server is
Philippe> very critical for our companie.

Philippe> My questions: Can it be installed without affecting the
Philippe> actual HP SNMP agent installed on my platform? Considering
Philippe> the actual SNMP agent installed on my computer, is there any
Philippe> precautions I need to take prior to do Net-SNMP
Philippe> installation? Can I just install needed SNMP libraries
Philippe> without installing the entire Net_SNMP agent?

Yes, you can install the net-snmp software on the same box as a hp-ov
installation.  I've done it in the past, though not recently.  They
shouldn't conflict with each other.  Now, the proper thing to do, of
course, would be to test installation of any software on a
non-production box first...
--
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will
 insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."   -- Terry Pratchett