Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal sniifer problem

From: Robert Perez <rperez@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 10:37:18 -0400
I have a wierd problem.  I have a windows 2000 pro wks and when I do some
sniffing on my second nic I find that there are packets missing.  For ex: I
have a PDC that acts as a WINS server, It is on a Catalyst 3548 and the port
is spanned to my sniffer port (My desktop has a second NIC connected to the
SPanned port) so I capture all traffic.  From my workstation, I send a WINS
request and I never see the packet return to my box in the ethereal sniff
although from a linux box on the switch that my box is connected to I am
also spanning that port and TCPDUMP sees the conversation from the WINS
server respond to me but Ethereal never picked up the return packet in the
sniff on the switch that the WINSD server is on??  So I started sniffing on
my other NIC in my box and for all the traffic that comes in and leaves my
machine and I caught all the packets in the sniff but I do not understand
why Ethereal is missing packets when I sniff from the second card on the
other end where the PDC is??

      Bob Perez
      EPX Network Support
      Phone- 302-326-0700  x4242