Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] New User - How do I cpature/save Cisco Debugs For Analysis

From: "Visser, Martin (Sydney)" <Martin.Visser@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:33:21 +1000
The only way in most Cisco networks to capture data suitable for import into ethereal is the using a NAM module, Network Analysis Module. This is basically a PC on a card that will slot into a Catalyst chassis, and it has RMON2 packet capture capability. (I believe it can save in NAI Sniffer format)

As this usually quite expensive, the normal alternative is to either insert a Ethernet repeater hub on the link you are interested in, or setup a SPAN monitor port on a Catalyst switch, and then capture traffic to an attached PC.

Of course if you can find a Cisco "debug xxx packet" command that produces a sufficiently verbose hex-dump you may be able to use the ethereal "text2pcap" utility to import the trace.

Martin Visser
Network Consultant - Global Services
COMPAQ, part of the new HP

3 Richardson Place
North Ryde, Sydney NSW 2113, Australia
Phone (: +61-2-9022-1670    Mobile È: +61-411-254-513
   Fax 7: +61-2-9022-1800     E-mail + : martin.visserAThp.com