Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] New User - How do I cpature/save Cisco Debugs For Analysis

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:51:04 -0700
On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 04:33:21PM +1000, Visser, Martin (Sydney) wrote:
> The only way in most Cisco networks to capture data suitable for
> import into ethereal is the using a NAM module, Network Analysis Module.
> This is basically a PC on a card that will slot into a Catalyst chassis,
> and it has RMON2 packet capture capability.  (I believe it can save in
> NAI Sniffer format)

Well, at least on the Cisco Catalyst 6500, it might also be able to save
in libpcap format, as the NAM on that platform, at least, apparently
runs Linux with Tethereal:

	http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-dev/200205/msg00318.html

I don't know what the code that writes out captures, is; it doesn't
necessarily write them out in libpcap format (Tethereal doesn't require
its input captures in libpcap format).