Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] support ATM interfaces...

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 12:12:09 -0700
On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 03:54:14PM +0200, Peter.Vandaele@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I hope this question hasn't been asked too often yet, i tried to check to
> archives to be sure.
> I was wondering : in the FAQ they mention that ATM interfaces (or at least
> ATM connections) can be read live, but only if the OS supports it.
> Can somebody help me with which OSs support this?
> I would like to read traffic on an ATM card using either a Linux (Red Hat)
> or Windows PC.

Linux and the BSD's *should* support it if you're doing Classical IP.

I haven't checked into the libpcap (and tcpdump) CVS tree the changes
yet, but libpcap will, at some point, be able to support capturing on
Solaris with SunATM (or, at least, with certain versions of Solaris and
SunATM; I don't know what versions would work), and the current CVS
version of Ethereal would support that as well.

I don't know whether WinPcap supports capturing on ATM interfaces on
Windows; you'd have to try it.