Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] IP Fragment Reassembly

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 03:29:43 -0700
On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 10:57:26PM -0700, Chris Waters wrote:
> What is the expected operation of the IP fragment reassembly option?

It's expected to reassemble fragmented IP datagrams. :-)

All but the last fragment should say "IP" in the Protocol column and

	Fragmented IP protocol (proto={the protocol}, off={the offset})

in the Info column, and the last fragment ("last" as in "the one that
was captured last") should show the appropriate protocol in the Protocol
column and the appropriate stuff in the Info column.  Under the
"Internet Protocol" tree item in the protocol tree pane there should be
an "IP Fragments" subtree, with information about the frames containing
the fragments.

> I enabled the option and captured a series of 2000 byte pings but didn't
> notice any difference.  i.e.  the packets weren't reassembled in the
> display.

I have it enabled by default, and just did some 2000-byte pings, and it
reassembled them.

> I also tried saving and reopening the trace, but that didn't
> change anything either.  Is it working correctly? I am using a version
> built from the latest sources.

I'm also using a reversion built from the latest CVS source.

Note that if

	1) you didn't capture the full packet (i.e., you gave a snapshot
	   length not large enough to get all the packet data)

or

	2) the IP checksum isn't valid

reassembly isn't done.