Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Data from Legacy capture machine

From: "darren" <teodarren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 07:36:07 +0800
Title: Searching in frames

 Hi all,

I have got a legacy “bit-stream” capture card that I would like to use with ethereal. Unfortunately, it is not a network interface and thus I cannot use it directly.

The card captures network data and saves them into a file and contains packets starting with the “0x7e” byte, Ethernet header, and then the IP packet.

I understand that to use ethereal to dissect this data, I need to follow its format…whats the best way to convert this kind of data into those usable by ethereal??

Is writing a dumb program to spoof the tcpdump file and packet header the only way?

Please advice

Darren