Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Re: Trying to understand why Ethereal has problems under XP

From: Jens Hektor <hektor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 13:34:51 +0100
Hi,

stop. I got it working too.

Solis, Clement wrote:
I have tried running tethereal -D. although I select to install tethereal I can fin no reference to it in the installed programs. Funny! I then went back into ethereal to see if I could access tethereal from somewhere in there, and the adapters are now present. I have not reinstalled ethereal or done anything to change the config of my machine. I don't understand but it does now seem to be working OK.

Funny.

Having had a closer look on my machine and also on the "versioning problem"
I see the following:

a) packet.dll is found in \WIndowsSystem32, the Ethereal Directory
   & the windump Directory. The one in the windump dir is smaller.
b) packet.vxd is found in \Windows\System32 & the Ethereal Directory

Remembering that Loris once sent me a special version of packet.dll
and copying it to the etheral directory solved the problem.
The version that Loris sent me was only 32kB instead of 36kb
as the others.

Good god, I would prefer dll-names like those for the
shared objects in unix, containing version numbers.

Sorry for all the trouble I made and thank you all very much for
the time you spent in helping me.

Bye, Jens

--
Jens Hektor, RWTH Aachen, Rechenzentrum, Seffenter Weg 23, 52074 Aachen
Computing Center Technical University Aachen, network operation & security