Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal "capture file damaged/corrupt", pcap "file bigg

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 03:27:00 -0800
On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 11:19:15PM +0000, Andrew J.Gavin wrote:
> I have used all combinations of Ethereal 0.8.20, Ethereal
> 0.9.0, libpcap 0.4.0, libpcap 0.6.1, and libpcap 0.6.2, but
> I still get the same error every time.
>
> After stopping a data capture, either on eth0 or on
> loopback, Ethereal pops up a window saying "The capture file
> appears to be damaged or corrupt."  Additionally, the
> console complains that "Message: pcap: File has [a large
> number]-byte packet, bigger than maximum of 65535".
>
> This error also occurs when I try to open capture files,
> including those available at http://www.ethereal.com/sample.
>
> This error does not happen when Ethereal updates the list of
> packets in real time.
>
> I have another machine that runs libpcap 0.6.2 and Ethereal
> 0.9.0 with no issues.

Are the two machines running the same Linux distribution?

If not, what distribution are the machine with the problem and the
machine without the problem running?

What happens if you move the Ethereal binary from the machine without
the problem to the machine with the problem?

What do "ethereal -v" and "ldd ethereal" report, both on the machine
without the problem and on the machine with the problem?

> Any ideas as to what could be the source of the problem?

An I/O library bug in the Linux distribution on the machine with the
problem?