Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Strange behaviour ethereal 0.9.0 (self compiled) capture

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 19:23:36 -0800 (PST)
> Must say that if I download the binary package from slackware it works
> correctly.
> ethereal -v say:

What does the Ethereal in the binary package from Slackware report with
"ethereal -v" and "ldd ethereal"?

> > Does this happen if you download
> >  	http://www.ethereal.com/sample/v6.pcap
> Yes, unfortunally.

Then it has nothing to do with the version of libpcap, as we don't use
libpcap to read capture files.

> > No, because there *IS* no "default reading format" in Ethereal;
> > Ethereal looks at the file's header and contents to determine the type
> > of the file.
> But it is what happening. If I save the "corrupted" using the "libpcap"
> format the next capture is OK.

That still doesn't mean that there's a default reading format in
Ethereal.

It means that the code to read capture files is somehow broken on the
particular system you're using, perhaps due to problems in the system
library.  It works fine on a number of other systems.