Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal "capture file damaged/corrupt", pcap "file bigg

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 02:12:12 -0800
On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 03:27:00AM -0800, Guy Harris wrote:
> > Any ideas as to what could be the source of the problem?
>
> An I/O library bug in the Linux distribution on the machine with the
> problem?

Or, most likely, a bug in the zlib installed with X11 on that machine.

Where is X11 installed on that machine? Is there a "libz.a" in its "lib"
directory? If so, did you install XFree86 from source on that machine,
and is it running a Linux distribution *other* than Debian?

I suspect the answers to all of the "yes or no" questions there are
"yes".  If so, then you should go to the source directory from which you
build XFree86, change the "xc/config/cf/linux.cf" file to define HasZlib
as YES very early in the file, reconfigure XFree86, rebuild XFree86
(this may require a top-level "make clean" first), and re-install it,
and then, if there's still a "libz.a" in the "lib" directory for X11,
remove it (along with any "zlib.h" files under the X11 top-level
directory).

Then go to the source directory for Ethereal, do a "make distclean", run
"configure", and rebuild Ethereal.