Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Interface not found

From: "Stepping, Michael" <michael.stepping@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 17:04:53 +0200
Dear Experts,

until today I run Ethereal 08.8 with the WinPCap 2.02.
It was running properly. The packet.drv was visible in the
network control panel as an additional binding.

Today I decided to update to ethereal 0.8.19 and
WinpCap 2.20beta. Before I removed the old installation
and deleted the already left packet.dll, and I did a reboot.

Now after installation and reboot (perhaps it was not necessary)
ethereal drops me a list of all my network cards.
My Computer is a laptop with pcmcia slots.

When I choose the menu "capture start" I get the following
list of network devices:
a) PPPMAC, a dial-up network
b) cbfe, my network card, if it is in the lower slot
c) cbfe, my network card, it it is in the upper slot
d) CSSCICAP, ????
e) WAN49544B, NDIS Wan Miniport Adapter
f) *PNP0510, serial infrared adapter???

It does not matter, what device I choose, everytime I get the
error message:
"The capture session could not be initiated (Error opening adapter: [from
german] the requested file was not found.).
Please check that you habe the proper interface specified."

This irritates me.

Additionally, I tried with WinDump 3.52a:

C:\Programme\EthernetCapturer>WinDump352a -D
1.PPPMAC (PPP Adapter.)
2.cbfe (Unknown)
3.cbfe (Unknown)
4.CSSCICAP (Unknown)
5.WAN49544B (NDIS Wan Miniport Adapter)
6.*PNP0510 (Unknown)

C:\Programme\EthernetCapturer>WinDump352a -i 2
C:\PROGRA~1\ETHERNET\WINDUM~1.EXE: listening on cbfe
C:\PROGRA~1\ETHERNET\WINDUM~1.EXE: Error opening adapter: [from german] the
requested file was not found

C:\Programme\EthernetCapturer>WinDump352a -i 3
C:\PROGRA~1\ETHERNET\WINDUM~1.EXE: listening on cbfe
C:\PROGRA~1\ETHERNET\WINDUM~1.EXE: Error opening adapter: [from german] the
requested file was not found

So, Experts, can anyone tell me, what is wrong with my machine?
The cbfe-card _is_ running in promiscouis mode, that is prooved by version
Ethereal 0.8.8, I already used.

Is it a problem, having the device name doubled?

Additionally I spend an excerpt of the registry on my machine:

--------------------------------
The second network device has identical parameters, which I omit, with the
exception of the number (3).

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Net\0003]
"DriverDesc"="CBFE-Card Fast Ethernet PC Card Adapter (upper)"
[....]
--------------
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Net\0002]
"DriverDesc"="CBFE-Card Fast Ethernet PC Card Adapter (bottom)"
"DevLoader"="*ndis,*ntkern,*ndis"
"DeviceVxDs"="cbfe.sys"
"EnumPropPages"="netdi.dll,EnumPropPages"
"AdapterType"="5"
"BusType"="5"
"MediaType"="1"
"AdapterCFID"="00191011"
"ReceiveBuffers"="10"
"UnderrunRetry"="2"
"InterrupMitigation"="0"
"MapRegisters"="8"
"BurstLength"="10"
"UnderrunThreshold"="0A"
"StoreAndForward"="0"
"MemoryReadMultiple"="0"
"PlatformType"="1"
"InterruptNumber"=hex:04,00,00,00
"IOBaseAddress"=hex:02,00,00,00
"MemoryBaseAddress"=hex:01,00,00,00
"InfSection"="PCMCIAsCBFE.ndi"
"NTMPDriver"="cbfe.sys"
"InfPath"="MICROSOF.INF"
"ProviderName"="Microsoft"
"DriverDate"="12-17-1998"
"ConnectionType"="1"
"TransmitThreshold100"="80"
"TransmitThreshold"="60"
"MatchingDeviceId"="PCI\\VEN_1011&DEV_0019&SUBSYS_11011186"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Net\0002\NDIS]
"LogDriverName"="cbfe"
"MajorNdisVersion"=hex:03
"MinorNdisVersion"=hex:0a

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Net\0002\Ndi]
"DeviceID"="PCI\\VEN_1011&DEV_0019"
"CardType"="PCI"
"InstallInf"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Net\0002\Ndi\Int
erfaces]
"DefUpper"="ndis3"
"DefLower"="ethernet"
"UpperRange"="ndis3"
"LowerRange"="ethernet"
"Upper"="ndis3"
"Lower"="ethernet"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Net\0002\Ndi\par
ams]
[...]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Net\0002\Ndi\Ins
tall]
"ndis3"="CBFE.ndis3"

Thanks for your help in advance,
Michael Stepping

---
Michael Stepping, MSc (EE), Ph.D. student
FTK Research Institute for Telecommunications
Multimedia Communications,
Dortmund, Germany
---