Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] new version of tcp graphing module

From: Pavel Mores <pvl@xxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 16:29:41 +0200
Hello,

a new version of TCP graphing module is available at
http://kostra.uh.cz/ethereal/ . It was updated so that it applies
cleanly against 0.8.18. I addressed all of the issues of the previous
version except that the module is still Ethernet- (or PPP-) specific.
Namely, I got rid of bit fields. The module's menus are insensitive now
if a packet is not selected that the module can handle. The control
window is now a notebook widget so that it doesn't resemble 747's
cockpit so much.  Mouse button bindings were changed so that the left
button selects segments and the right button moves the graph and
magnification window. Module's windows have now titles.

I didn't address the dependency on Ethernet or PPP because it's not
clear what is the right way to do it.

A couple of notes: there's a known bug in the code that makes the
module's menus insensitive when no suitable frame is selected. It causes
the Tools->TCP Stream Analysis menu item look sensitive even when it is
not. I don't know how to fix it yet.

I don't think that swapping of mouse button bindings was the right thing
to do. Binding the move and magnify functions to the right mouse button
instead of the left one causes the user to work with his ring or middle
fingers 90% of time which is quite antiergonomic. It is true that lmb
traditionally selects. But I believe that this standard was motivated by
the fact that selecting is what a user does most of the time while
operating a typical GUI. Index finger is much better suited for this
amount of work than any other finger. I feel that by sticking to the
"standard" here we are defying this standard's very purpose.

Enjoy!

	pvl