Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Help with Win32 Filters

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 11:35:03 -0700
On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 08:32:50AM -0400, Matt wrote:
> Can someone explain to me how to set the filters in the Windows version?

The same way you set them in every other version.

> I'm specifically trying to filter out ARP traffic, but not sure how to enter
> the filter string.

"Filter out" when capturing, or "filter out" in a capture you have
already read?

If it's when capturing, you put into the "Filter" text box, in the
"Capture Preferences" dialog box popped up by the "Capture->Start" menu
item, the expression "!arp" or "not arp".  Then start the capture.

If it's in a capture you've already read, you put, into the "Filter"
text box at the bottom of the screen, the expression "!arp" or "not
arp", and then use the "Enter" or "Return" key.

(Note: it is not always the case that capture filters and display
filters have the same syntax, even though, in this particular case, they
do.)