Ethereal-users: Re: [ethereal-users] Linux RedHat 6.2 - no TCP traffic?!

From: Gilbert Ramirez <gram@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 11:18:27 -0500
On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 05:03:52PM -0500, Dundo wrote:

> I've connected 'Ethereal' machine and two other machines to a hub just to
> be shure there's no switching problems. I've started Apache server and FTP
> server on one of these machines and then accessing them using another
> machine as a client I was trying to create some TCP traffic. None of these
> packets appeared. Then, I used nmap to create some TCP and UDP traffic and
> only UDP was visible. When I connect same 'Ethereal' machine to LAN (to be
> specific, Roving Analysis Port of 3COM router) I can see everything else
> except TCP.

Was the UDP to a unicast (non-broadcast, non-multicast) address that was
different than the laptop's NIC's IP address?

> It's very strange because I've already compiled Ethereal 0.8.8 on SPARC
> Solaris machine and everything runs perfectly. This machine that I have
> problems with is Gateway SOLO Notebook running RedHat 6.2 (Zoot) and it has
> 3COM Megahertz PCMCIA Ethernet adapter (Model 3CXFE575CT). I wanted to use
> this machine as a portable Network Analyzer.

What if you connect that SPARC machine to that hub. What does *it* see?

(I'm trying to figure out if it's the NIC in that laptop that won't go into
promiscous mode for some strange reason, or if the hub is really not a hub).

--gilbert