Ethereal-users: Re: [ethereal-users] Linux RedHat 6.2 - no TCP traffic?!

From: Dundo <dundo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 17:55:47 -0400

I've connected 'Ethereal' machine and two other machines to a hub just to be shure there's no switching problems. I've started Apache server and FTP server on one of these machines and then accessing them using another machine as a client I was trying to create some TCP traffic. None of these packets appeared. Then, I used nmap to create some TCP and UDP traffic and only UDP was visible. When I connect same 'Ethereal' machine to LAN (to be specific, Roving Analysis Port of 3COM router) I can see everything else except TCP.

It's very strange because I've already compiled Ethereal 0.8.8 on SPARC Solaris machine and everything runs perfectly. This machine that I have problems with is Gateway SOLO Notebook running RedHat 6.2 (Zoot) and it has 3COM Megahertz PCMCIA Ethernet adapter (Model 3CXFE575CT). I wanted to use this machine as a portable Network Analyzer.

Regards,

Dundo

At 04:09 PM 5/19/00 -0500, Gilbert Ramirez wrote:
On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 03:36:15PM -0500, Dundo wrote:

> I can capture everything else but TCP.....strange, but true......I use
> ethereal only as 'root'......

What TCP connections in particular are you expecting to see? That is,
are you browsing the web while capturing with Ethereal, and cannot see your
own HTTP (over TCP) packets?

--gilbert

- Dundo -

--> This message has been sent on 100% recycled electrons <--