Ethereal-users: Re: [ethereal-users] Re: RHAT 6.2 & UCD SNMP 4.1.1

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 12:41:15 -0700 (PDT)
> However, I thought the most recent versions of ethereal changed the
> include file structure to fix this?  (or test for it and optionally
> include it)?

It does, but the issue isn't with building from source (which works),
it's with running pre-built binaries.

It *might* be possible to use a trick that I've seen described somewhere
as one used on Windows - load the library in question with "dlopen()"
(or GLib's wrapper that hides the different run-time loading APIs behind
a single API), check for particular routines with "dlsym()" (or GLib's
wrapper for it), and call those routines through a pointer if found or
do something else if not.

(BTW, for the person who originally asked about this - downloading and
building from source shouldn't be very painful, so you really might want
to consider that; you should just be able to unpack the tarball, run
"./configure" in the resulting directory, run "make", and (perhaps as
super-user, but if that requires that you be super-user, installing the
binary RPM may have required it as well) run "make install".)