Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Not understanding something in LLC

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 12:52:49 -0700
Eduardo Escudero S�nchez wrote:
Hi . I have been searching in a lot of pages and in books to see if there could be LLC frames other than those that have a 0x03 control field value using SNAP (so they have 5 additional bytes after the LLC control field) and i have found that many of them say that the control field must have the 0x03 value;

I found one that doesn't.  It says:

The LLC control field (CTL) is shown for PDU type UI, Unnumbered Information, which is the most commonly used PDU type in this context; *however, other information-carrying LLC PDU types may also be used with SNAP*.

(emphasis mine).

Its short title is "IEEE Std 802�-2001", and its full title is "IEEE Standard for Local and Metropolitan Area Networks: Overview and Architecture". I'm somewhat more inclined to believe the IEEE than Javvin or McGraw-Hill on this matter.

I have thought that maybe the connection must be identified in the AA-LSAP-situation witha n additional 5 five identifier (the SNAp of teh upper protocol)

That's what I would expect anything managing LLC Type 2 connections using SNAP to do.