Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Not understanding something in LLC

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 10:15:44 -0700
Eduardo Escudero Sánchez wrote:

I have been using etehreal and i have received LLC frames.One of them was a TEST frame (its control field was 0xf3) But ethereal says that TEST comes with SNAP!!!!! isn't that impossible?.

So it was a test frame with SSAP=DSAP=0xAA?

Only when you receive frames which have SSAP=DSAP=0xAA and the control byte = 0x03 (UI Frame then ) you can have a SNAP field of 5 bytes (3 for organization code and 2 for protocol identification).
I'm wrong maybe? someone can explain me?

At least according to IEEE Std 802-2001, section "10.3.2 SNAP PDU format":

The LLC control field (CTL) is shown for PDU type UI, Unnumbered Information, which is the most commonly used PDU type in this context; however, other information-carrying LLC PDU types may also be used with SNAP.

The other question i have is about analizing llc frames. how can one knows whether the controll field of the frame is two bytes long or only one byte?.You can know it if you know it is an unnumbered frame (1 control byte then) or a supervisory or information frame (2 control bytes in that case), but in order to discover the type of the frame you must see the value of the bits of the least significant byte of the control field

No.

If the low-order bit of the *first* byte is 0, it's an I frame.

Otherwise, if the bit above that is 0, it's an S frame.

Otherwise, it's a U frame.