Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] help on dissector_add

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:40:33 -0800
Kiss Gyula wrote:
Thanks for your value info for understanding the problem, however this still doens't work to me. I tried with "llc.dsap" now but nothing happened. I mean that my dissect_abcd() function is not called. (I have a capture to test with)

Do any packets in that capture have 802.2 packets with a DSAP value equal to the value you used in the dissector_add() call?

If not, *that's* why nothing happened - there are no packets that have the specified DSAP value.

(Note: no dissector should *EVER* register for a DSAP value of 0xAA. Those packets *MUST* be processed by the LLC dissector's SNAP code.)

If your dissector has a particular SNAP PID value, such as 0x0088, assigned to it, then that value *MUST* have been assigned within a particular space of PID values - there isn't a single global space of PID values, there are multiple spaces, each one identified by an IEEE OUI.

The OUI of 00:00:00 is for a space of PIDs that's the same as the space of Ethernet types, but 0x0088 isn't a valid Ethernet type (it's too small).

For the other PID spaces, you would first need to register a "fake" dissector for the OUI for that space; that dissector would then get a dissector table name for the PIDs in its space, and your "abcd" dissector would then register in *that* dissector table.

See "epan/dissectors/packet-nt-oui.c" as an example of one of those "fake dissectors" for a given SNAP OUI, and see "epan/dissectors/packet-nt-sonmp.c" for an example of a dissector that registers with a particular PID (two of them, actually) in the space for that Nortel OUI.