Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Preference dialog size

From: "Eric Wedel" <ewedel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:39:18 -0800
I'm afraid I must disagree.  In my work I use ethereal daily,
often launching many captures in quick succession.  For this,
the combination of the "Show capture options" and "Start capture"
buttons is a great timesaver.

In my experience, the buttons in a new (to the user) UI are seldom
if ever "intuitive."  Instead, with the accumulation of experience
(perhaps aided initially by tooltips) the user is trained to recognize
the meaning of particular icons -- for my own part, I rely as much on
the relative position of the icon/button as its image.

This discussion reminds me a bit of how many words the Eskimos have
for snow, or the Hawaiians for lava.  Ethereal is a network capture
and analysis utility, so it doesn't seem unreasonable to me to devote
a couple of buttons to various aspects of capture control.

And after all, if you really desire a multi-click interface, the
menu bar is still there.

regards, Eric

Eric,
Bluearc Engineering