Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Dissector in Java

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 19:22:20 +0200

Ethereal development <ethereal-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 19.10.05 16:37:13:

> Hello,
>
> I'm just starting in working with ethereal and intend to make a plugin for our private protocol. This protocol is completely implemented in Java and I don't want to reimplement it in C for ethereal for several reasons. One reason is, each time we extend our protocol we have to change the plugin too.
>
> The Java implementation is done in a way, it would be easy to extend it for usage with ethereal. The missing links are two interfaces one calling some java methods and another which allows our java program to call ethereal's functions.
>
> Maybe someone has done it before or expect it to do.

I've never heard of such a JAVA wrapper and I don't think someone is working on it.

Hmmm, having a protocol dissector in JAVA might be slow, so if you have large amounts of data this might be a problem.

If you would implement such a wrapper, beware that the libethereal API isn't stable and will change from Ethereal version to version.

Jetzt gratis testen! http://freemail.web.de/home/landingpad/?mc=021130