Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Dissector in Java

From: "Andreas Sikkema" <andreas.sikkema@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 21:06:01 +0200
> If you would implement such a wrapper, beware that the
> libethereal API isn't stable and will change from
> Ethereal version to version.

I've maintained a C++ based plugin for Ethereal for a while,
but that was before the api was put into a library. So I'm
not sure if my experiences still apply.

The biggest problem for me was that I had to recompile the
plugin for each new ethereal release.

The advantage I had was that I was the toolmaintainer for
Ethereal at the company, so I was also the one to define
which version people were advised/forced to use. So I
could spare myself some work by skipping one or two
releases...

--
Andreas Sikkema

<<winmail.dat>>