Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Dissector in Java

From: "Jacques, Olivier (OCBU-Test Infra)" <olivier.jacques@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 19:00:37 +0200
Richard,

I would recommend that you take some times to go through Ethereal's
developer doc.
Creating a protocol dissector and maintaining it in Ethereal is a far
more easier task than implementing the actual protocol in java or C.
There are many functions that will help you to create a dissector for
your protocol in few days.
But don't start from scratch. Make sure that you base your work on
another protocol already implemented in Ethereal which is close to your
proprietary protocol (TLV family, Text family, ...).
Also, it is generally a good idea to display "unknown message, code XXX"
or "unknown parameter, code XXX, length YYY, value ZZZ" for unknown
messages and parameters, so that you can stay some versions behind in
your plugin.

Olivier.