Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] zlib version upgrade - security issue

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:54:58 +0200
Thomas Boehne wrote:

On Sunday 24 July 2005 21:44, Ulf Lamping wrote:
Andrew Hood wrote:
Please update the version being used in the build.

http://www.zlib.net/
I've updated the zlib version used for the Windows build.

My SVN build just failed because zlib123 is downloaded, but zlib122 is
actually used for compiling and linking. We should not release 0.10.12
until this bug is fixed (I did not add it to bugzilla -- should I?).
(See patch config.nmake.diff).
checked in

Later on, the build failed in creating the NSIS installer with this
message:
File: "C:\ethereal-win32-libs\gtk-wimp\libwimp.dll" -> no files found.

The libwimp.dll was in the directory:
C:\ethereal-win32-libs\gtk-wimp\gtk-wimp-0.7.0-bin
(I guess this requires patches at several different files,
unfortunately, I don't have time to resolve them today)
I've fixed this, it was another bug in config.nmake

The buildbot does not catch these problems, maybe it should always
clear c:\ethereal-win32-libs. We have already had similar problems
that would not occur if we would always delete the unzipped files
before building ethereal:

http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-dev/200501/threads.html#00543

Maybe the downloaded files and the unzipped directories should be in
different directories; than we could always delete the whole directory
with all unzipped files on make clean (or distclean or whatever). This
would increase the build time by some seconds, but IMHO, the current
behaviour is a security problem, since we link with old libraries
without recognizing it.
I thought it would be already the case that the libs are deleted before next usage. Gerald, any ideas?

The README.win32 seems to be a bit outdated; I upgraded some version
numbers. I am not sure if the sections "Instructions for Cygwin" and
"Installing GTK-Wimp" are up-to-date. (see README.win32.diff).
Don't know the cygwin section well, I have slightly updated the Wimp section.

I posted README.plugins.diff a while ago, but it has never been applied:
http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-dev/200505/msg00027.html

I've checked in both

Regards, ULFL