Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] wishlist: hash of packet-data

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:57:43 -0700
Ph. Marek wrote:

as a step to comparing captures I'd like a simple feature included in ethereal: having some kind of hash-value (MD5, SHA-1, possibly CRC-32) for the various levels of packet dissection.

So would it compute all of the types of hash, or would the type of hash differ for different parts of the packet, or would the type of hash be user-selectable?

Eg. having a hash for the ethernet-packet,

"Ethernet packet", meaning "the Ethernet header and the payload", or "Ethernet header", meaning "the first 14 bytes of an Ethernet packet"?

for the IP-part, the TCP-part, and possibly sub-dissectors.

This would help finding corresponding packets in simultaneously done sniffer dumps, and allow checking for corruptions easily (think NAT, where some part is legitimately changed, but others below must not).

So where would these hashes appear? As protocol tree items (so that display filters can compare hashes)?