Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Vote for removal of some User Guide sections

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 22:20:00 +0200
Jaap Keuter wrote:

Hello list,

I would like to hear from you about the removal of some sections of the
User Guide. It concerns sections of Chapter 2, more precisely:
2.3. Before you build Ethereal under UNIX
2.4. Building Ethereal from source under UNIX
2.6. Troubleshooting during the install on Unix
2.7. Building from source under Windows

These sections are outdated,
As I don't have much knowledge on this topic and no one else provided updates it's almost certainly not in a good shape.

or at least much more accurately described in
the Developer Manual. Which the current abundance of binary packages these
sections are not relevant for most users. A clear reference to the
Developer Manual has to be inserted of course.
Sounds somewhat reasonable, but I'm not a unix one so I'm not the reference on this.

In the end there are some differences between the release (user's) and subversion (developer's) packages. So it might make sense to keep a small release build section in the user's guide, but I really didn't thought about it deeply. It also might make sense to simply point to the developer's guide.

2.7. has nearly no content and should be kept that way (but shouldn't be deleted). Maybe adding a pointer to the developer guide / wiki would make sense.

Anyway, the developer's guide should mark the differences between the released sources (some prebuild files included) and subversion sources (need some more tools to build, e.g. flex/bison), as they have to be build slightly different, but again I'm not the expert here.

Regards, ULFL