Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Vote for removal of some User Guide sections

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:13:01 +0200 (CEST)
On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Ulf Lamping wrote:

> Jaap Keuter wrote:
>
> >Hello list,
> >
> >I would like to hear from you about the removal of some sections of the
> >User Guide. It concerns sections of Chapter 2, more precisely:
> >2.3. Before you build Ethereal under UNIX
> >2.4. Building Ethereal from source under UNIX
> >2.6. Troubleshooting during the install on Unix
> >2.7. Building from source under Windows
> >
> >These sections are outdated,
> In the end there are some differences between the release (user's) and
> subversion (developer's) packages. So it might make sense to keep a
> small release build section in the user's guide, but I really didn't
> thought about it deeply. It also might make sense to simply point to the
> developer's guide.
>
> 2.7. has nearly no content and should be kept that way (but shouldn't be
> deleted). Maybe adding a pointer to the developer guide / wiki would
> make sense.
>
> Anyway, the developer's guide should mark the differences between the
> released sources (some prebuild files included) and subversion sources
> (need some more tools to build, e.g. flex/bison), as they have to be
> build slightly different, but again I'm not the expert here.

I see what you mean. There are three audiences to please: the binary
package user, the released sources user and the developer. Now with only
two manuals how are we going to target these audiences? Is the release
sources user more like the binary package user or the developer? I say
(s)he's more like a developer. I'll have to re-examine both manuals for
the feasability of these choices. But first I'm off to France, so it will
be a while.

Thanx,
Jaap