Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Re: SCTP analysis (similar to tcp.analysis stuff)

From: ronnie sahlberg <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 04:37:49 -0400
If you implement it in SCTP and base it on the TCP one, dont just copy
the TCP one straight over. Use it for ideas   but now with more
accurate understanding of the problemspace it can be implemented
better than the TCP one with some refactoring.

The TCP one has evolved over the last few years into features not
originally planned for so there are things that are sub-optimal in
there.

For example, the TCP one does do quite a few redundant
look-up-hashtable that slows it down a bit.

I use very little SCTP myself and am not too read up about it,   I am
refactoring the code in tcp-graphs now to tappify it and thus get rid
of the restriction of the very limited set of transports supproted (at
the expence of doing a dissect of the packets ==> major slowdown in
tcp-graph initialization expected).
Maybe you want to look into massaging the tcp-graph thing to also
support SCTP at a later stage?

Any specific things that are very different in SCTP compared to TCP i
should be aware of when refactoring this code to not make it more
diffucult than neccessary if you want to SCTPify it later?