Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] SCTP analysis (similar to tcp.analysis stuff)

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 10:26:30 -0700
Jeff Morriss wrote:

Has anyone ever thought about adding the kind of advanced sequence number analysis that the TCP dissector has to SCTP (detecting retransmissions, duplicate ACKs, etc.)?

In TCP it's done inside the dissector (which allows cool things like jumping do the frame with the duplicate ack) but is that how it should be done now

I'd say so. (Note that the sequence number analysis was added by the person who invented the tap mechanism. :-))

or would a tap be better?

*Possibly*, although, as the tap code would be part of the same source base as the dissector code, I'm not sure there's a compelling reason to do it in a tap - it's not as if it'd be a third-party add-on.