Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] SCTP analysis (similar to tcp.analysis stuff)

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 10:53:21 -0700
Michael Tuexen wrote:

But I think (maybe I'm wrong) is that the sequence number analysis was developed earlier than the tap stuff. And the other thing is that the sequence number stuff is not link layer independent like it would be it
it done via taps.

To which sequence number analysis are you referring?

I was referring to the analysis the results of which show up in the protocol tree, which is the one that detects retransmissions, duplicate ACKs, etc.; that code is link-layer independent, as it's done in the dissector.

It sounds as if you're talking about the TCP graphs, which aren't link-layer independent (and which should be redone as a tap to make it link-layer independent).