Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] [Patch] Etheral reads from socket

From: Thomas Steffen <steffen.list.account@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 20:58:33 +0200
On 7/4/05, Gianluca Varenni <gianluca.varenni@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This important milestone was one of the causes in the delay to release
> WinPcap 3.1. We are planning to release WinPcap 3.1 final by mid-july. More
> details on it can be found here:
>
> http://www.winpcap.org/pipermail/winpcap-users/2005-July/000141.html

That is good to know, thanks for your response. I just got the beta 4
and had a look at rpcap. It is a substancial amount of code (around
6000 line client+server), so it is certainly a more "heavy-weight"
solution than I would like. But it also looks rather nicely done. If
it could be integrated into libpcap, I think that would basically
solve the remote tracing discussion here.

Unfortunately, that task is a bit too big for my timeframe. I will see
whether there are any plans in this direction on tcpdump.org.

Thomas