Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] [Patch] Etheral reads from socket

From: "Gianluca Varenni" <gianluca.varenni@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 10:55:31 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Steffen" <steffen.list.account@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Ethereal development" <ethereal-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 04, 2005 3:17 AM
Subject: Re: [Ethereal-dev] [Patch] Etheral reads from socket

- did you noticed, that Winpcap already has a remote capturing feature,
see: http://www.winpcap.org/docs/docs31beta4/html/group__remote.html (I
don't know if the libpcap team is working on a similar feature, Guy?)

Yes, unfortunately the network interface is undocumented, so it would
be difficult (but very nice!) to come up with a compatible solution. I
will try to investigate this. Is winpcap still active? It seems like
they had some external disruptions, and no release since.

Hi everyone.

WinPcap is still up and running. As some of you may have read on the winpcap-users mailing list, the project moved from the university (where Loris and me got our PhD) to a new website, www.winpcap.org, maintained and supported by Loris and me as part of our working adventure in the sunny California.

This important milestone was one of the causes in the delay to release WinPcap 3.1. We are planning to release WinPcap 3.1 final by mid-july. More details on it can be found here:

http://www.winpcap.org/pipermail/winpcap-users/2005-July/000141.html

Have a nice day

Gianluca Varenni
on behalf of the WinPcap Team.