Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] [Patch] Etheral reads from socket

From: "Javier Acuña" <javier.acuna@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 21:43:39 -0400
Hi, my answers below

> Hi Javier!
>
> I had a look at your patch, and must say that IMHO it's not ready for
> checkin for several reasons (no particular order):
>
> - the GUI changes make the capture options dialog box even more
> "unintuitive" than it already is (e.g. which "IP address" is meant).
> However, I could fix this if the other problems are solved.

I would appreciate that.

> - I assume the changes won't work with Win32, e.g. the #include's in
> capture_loop.c will probably won't work on win32 and maybe not on "other
> unixes" as well

Hi, I'm a little confused.

I know that pipes and sockets work in Unix, so Unix should be OK

Regarding Windows, in the code to read from a pipe, it says that it won't work on Windows, but in gtk/main.c (a couple of lines above line 2000) you have an '#ifdef _WIN32' to allow reading from some pipe file descriptor.

Since my 'hack' relies on reading from a pipe, I'm not sure if it's going to work in Windows.

Anyhow, adding 'ifdef's' to make my code only visible to unix is a definite possibility.

> - command line: using two options '-d' and '-e' isn't a good idea, using
> one with sub options might be a better idea (like the -a option)

OK.

> - general concerns: you should follow the style of the original files
> (indentation, curly brackets, ...)

OK, I'll use 'indent' next time.

> In general, most of the things mentioned above are minor points. The
> major problems are about the general functionality:
>
> - security: how do you avoid that someone else is capturing on the
> server you've provided? That's a serious security problem!!!

I'm going to add username/password support now. I don't think sending the captured info encrypted is necessary,

> - As Guy Harris already asked, why not add this feature to libpcap?

Because, as I already said, this is not for capturing. This is used to receive data from another program that does the capturing.

In our case, we use SS7 hardware, and we have stand alone drivers and applications that read data from those interfaces.

This patchs opens the possibility of writing only the driver that interacts with some XXX new hardware, then sends the data to localhost:some_port and with Ethereal you have a new protocol analyzer on top of that new hardware.

>From what I gather, libpcap only reads from Ethernet devices. Adding this to libpcap limits us to Ethernet hardware.

Regarding WinPcap below,

i) we don't use windows here.

ii) the winpcap approach needs a server and a client. I'm only interested on embedding the client in Ethereal so It can receive from any given source.

> - did you noticed, that Winpcap already has a remote capturing feature,
> see: http://www.winpcap.org/docs/docs31beta4/html/group__remote.html (I
> don't know if the libpcap team is working on a similar feature, Guy?)
>
> - adding a remote capturing feature without providing the corresponding
> server might be pretty useless

As I said, this is not bounded to any server. I'm sending a small server to test this patch

> In general, this seems to be a "quick hack" to bring this feature to
> life. There are some serious questions left open, which should be solved
> first before doing further development.

I didn't want to send a full fledged patch until I know you guys are intereted in adding this. Besides, by sending the previos quick hack I learned how to get the GUI thingie to work.

> Regards, ULFL

Mensaje enviado desde el Servicio Webmail del Dominio sixbell.cl

_____________________________
La informacion contenida en esta transmision es confidencial, y no puede ser usada por otras personas que su(s) destinatario(s). El uso no autorizado de la informacion contenida en esta transmision puede ser sancionado. Si ha recibido esta transmision por error, por favor destruyala y notifique al remitente telefonicamente, con cobro revertido o via e-mail.

The information contained in this transmission is privileged, and may not be used by any person other than its addressee(s). Unauthorized use of the information contained in this transmission may be punished  by law.  If received in error, please destroy and notify the sender by calling collect or by e-mail.
_____________________________
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <strings.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>
#include <netinet/in.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>
#include <arpa/inet.h>

#define SA struct sockaddr
#define LISTENQ 100
/*
 * gcc server.c -o server
 * server 'port_no' file.eth
 * */

void senddata ( int sockfd , char * file);

int main (int argc, char **argv)
{
	int port = (int) strtoul( argv[1], NULL, 10);
	char *nameOfFile = argv [2];

	/* Socket */
	int listenfd, connfd;
	pid_t childpid;
	socklen_t clilen;

	struct sockaddr_in cliaddr, servaddr;

	listenfd = socket (AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0);

	bzero (&servaddr, sizeof (servaddr) );
	servaddr.sin_family = AF_INET;
	servaddr.sin_addr.s_addr  = htonl (INADDR_ANY);
	servaddr.sin_port = htons ( port );

	bind ( listenfd, (SA *) &servaddr , sizeof(servaddr) );

	listen ( listenfd, LISTENQ);

	while (1)
	{
	  clilen = sizeof (cliaddr);
	  connfd = accept (listenfd, (SA *) & cliaddr , &clilen );

	  if ( (childpid = fork() == 0 ) )
	  {
		  close (listenfd);
		  senddata( connfd, nameOfFile );
		  exit ( 0 );
	  }
	  close (connfd);
	}
}

void senddata ( int sockfd , char * file)
{
	/* Archivo entrada */
	FILE *input = fopen(file, "r");
	printf("\n");
	char *temp = (char *) calloc(1, sizeof(char));

	int re;
	while ( (re = fread( (void *) temp, sizeof(char), 1, input) > 0) )
	//	fputs(temp, stdout);
		write( sockfd , temp, 1);
	fclose (input);
//	write(connfd, buff, strlen(buff));
}

int Socket(int family, int type, int protocol)
{
	int n;
	if ( (n = socket(family, type, protocol)) < 0 )
		fprintf (stderr, "Error de Socket(...)\n");
	return n;
}

void Connect(int fd, const struct sockaddr *sa, socklen_t salen)
{
	int n;
        if ( (n = connect(fd, sa, salen)) < 0)
                fprintf(stderr, "Error en Connect(...), %i\n", n);
}