Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Getting Started with Ethereal/SSLDump

From: ronnie sahlberg <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:12:31 +1000
That sounds like a very nice project.

Please keep in mind that OpenSSL is not GPL compatible and as such
Ethereal can not be distributed on all systems as being linked with
OpenSSL.
Thus the support would not be available to most users (only to those
compiling ethereal themself and are not distributing ethereal).

As far as I can tell SSLDump support two major features:
1, Dissecting(decoding) the X.509 certificate, which ethereal can
already do, and
2, Decrypting the encrypted SSL payload if the keying material is made
available, which ethereal can currently not do.

I assume you want to add decryption to ethereal.

While decrypting of SSL when linked with Ethereal would be better than
nothing and be useful for all that compile ethereal themself it would
lock out all windows users and be suboptimal due to the licence
incompatibility.

The best solution, and the one requiring the largest amount of work,
would be to re-implement the decryption feature of SSL in the ethereal
ssl dissector only using the available chipher primitives and APIs
already available in ethereal and not rely on any functionality from
OpenSSL.