Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] A documentation patch

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 09:28:06 +0200
Julian Onions wrote:

>I think my changes and the README do different things. I find the
>README's rather difficult to read - except as reference, not nearly as
>clear as acrobat for instance.

Full ack

>Also from the README's I get a lot of
>facts, like routine names and so on, but not how and when to use them.

Ack

>WHilst all that could be added to the README's I just don;t think of
>README's as core documentation. Nearly every other project I'd been
>involved in README's are quick notes to get you started, or quick
>notes.

There are other Ethereal developer's who will disagree, although I would
think your right.

>My first dissector had a lot of calls to proto_tree_add_int,
>proto_tree_add_string and so on, and it took quite a while before I
>found the right way to do things. What I wanted to show was how you
>set about things, and that its not as hard as you might think to write
>a dissector.

Yes, when looking at some dissectors, you'll see some very interesting
ways to use the proto_tree_add_... functions, which could be done
simpler and easier. I agree this is caused simply by lack of documentation.

>Anyway - I'd like to write some more in a similar style, particularly
>about reassembly of split packets, taps and stats.

Just go on ...

Regards, ULFL