Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Add tapping to README.developer Section 1.2 Skeleton?

From: Mike Duigou <ethereal@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:33:28 -0700
Manu Pathak wrote:
Hi Mike,
Mike Duigou said the following on 06/01/2005 01:59 PM:

I recently figured out how to add tapping to a dissector after reading the README.tapping instructions (lines 28-55). Pretty simple stuff and it seems that every dissector should do this.

   I was wondering what you did to get that to work. You might
remember that I am trying to add support for RSVP conversations, and
was facing a similar problem. If you could send me your diffs, or
an explanation of what exactly you had to do, that would be really
helpful. Thanks!

I actually have the same questions you do regarding adding conversation display for additional protocols to the UI. I'm really surprised that more of the higher level RPC-like protocols, VoIP, and other connection oriented protocols haven't felt the need to expose their conversations through the Ethereal UI.

Adding tapping support is only partly related to conversations. In the case of the JXTA dissector the conversation data is what is passed to the tap, but as Guy Harris pointed out a tap could be provided with different data.

For adding tapping support I only had to follow the instructions in README.tapping. It was pretty easy.

Mike