Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Problem with "next file every" checkbox

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:10:22 +0100
Thomas Boehne wrote:

>I think a checkbox that cannot be unchecked is a bad user interface.

Ack

>Creating new files only based on the
>time could be done by setting the size value to a large value, but
>thats only a dirty workaround.

Ack

>I think the correct solution is:
>
>Let the user check/uncheck any checkbox, and show an error message if
>OK is clicked when "Use multiple files" is checked, and neither of the
>two "next file every" options is checked.

The current implementation doesn't allow to disable the file size based
file switching at all, which was simply a bug. I've checked in a fix for
this.

I've also added a hint to the tooltips of both checkboxes, that one of
them has to be used.

The way you have to use it now: first enable file duration and then
disable file size

The way you describe it would make sense.

But the current implementation uses the default enabling of the file
size as a mechanism to provide a meaningful default set. This mechanism
is used every time some setting had changed in the box.
The other possible way would leave both checkboxes unchecked, which
would mean having the default for multiple files always resulting in the
error message you've noticed above, which is even more undesirable IMHO.

Every other way would require much more effort, as this requires to
change the capturing engine itself.

Regards, ULFL